It’s National Walking Month!
Why is walking so important for your resident’s?
Some of the benefits of walking for seniors include:
- Improves heart health. For seniors, walking offers numerous heart health benefits. It leads to a reduction in the risk for high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and coronary heart disease.
- Lowers blood sugar. After eating, taking a 15-minute walk has been shown to reduce the after-eating spike in blood sugar some seniors can experience.
- Reduces pain. Studies have shown that walking helps reduce some pain due to chronic conditions like arthritis.
- It doesn’t cost anything! Walking can be done at any time, for as long as needed and with minimal effort and cost. This means it can be done consistently which is a huge benefit to your residents.
- Promotes social engagement. Walking offers an easy way for seniors to chat and engage with each other and maybe even others who could be out and about too.
- Boosts mental health. A daily walk can help you feel more positive about life. The endorphins released during physical activity create a sense of well-being, reduce anxiety and boost your mood.
Here are 5 ways to get your resident’s up & walking about whilst having fun!
- A conga line! Put on some music & do the conga, super fun & gets everybody’s blood pumping!
- Garden activities such as gardening, planting seeds, watering the plants etc is a great way to get your resident’s walking around in the fresh air!
- An organised trip or walk somewhere new, not only will they be getting active they will get to visit a new place too…
- Start a walking club! Once a week gather the ‘Walking Club’ and take a walk around the local park or your local area. During walking club have a topic in mind that you could discuss with your residents whilst walking to make it more interesting.
- Step workouts! There are 100’s of great step workouts on YouTube, these are very simple and quick and are proven to improve balance
- Our Level 2 Bundle! You’ll receive access to our accredited Level 2 Seated Dance and Exercise Course as well as 12 months access to our Keep Activ Subscription bringing you seasonal activity packs, virtual seated dance and exercise sessions, lesson plans, physical activity games, relaxation exercises & ongoing support from our friendly team!On a tight budget? Don’t worry! We have set up a handy payment plan so that your resident’s don’t have to miss out, just 6 monthly payments of £39!